Katie's Kitchen - Fresh Winter Salad - Katie Lavin, Wholesale Sales Manager
Here is one of my favorite salads, always different depending on the ingredients I have to work with. If the beets are already cooked, this is a cinch to throw together. This amount serves 6-8 people and can easily be double to feed a crowd. Make a few hours before you eat to let the flavors meld. Adding pea or sunflower shoots really puts this over the top!
- 3 cups cubed cooked beets, 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups cubed raw peeled kohlrabi, 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped apples, 1 inch pieces
- Optional: a shredded carrot? ½ cup of matchstick-sliced turnips? Raisins? Pea or sunflower shoots?
Dressing (all of these ingredients are "to taste", meaning add more yogurt if you want it creamier, more cinnamon for more cinnamon flavor, etc):
- ¾ cup of plain yogurt (or use part mayonnaise)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Mix all of the dressing ingredients together. Add to your beets, kohlrabi, and apples (and any other creative extras besides the sunflower shoots). Watch it turn a delightful shade of fuschia. Adjust your dressing ingredients to make the salad taste the way you want. Sprinkle the top of your finished salad with a generous handful or two of pea or sunflower shoots and admire your creation. Serve and enjoy!