Here in Northern Vermont, April tugs at our heartstrings as it dangles spring in front of us, while at the same time threatening one more winter storm to put our hopes for new gardens and fresh veggies on hold a little longer. Last year, we were all fooled by an early warm spell only to be pelted by hail the next week. Despite the unreliable spring weather, we can still find ways to brighten our days with veggies and fruits left over from last year’s harvest. My favorite way to do this: juicing!
What is better than a fresh cup of bright orange carrot juice on a cold damp spring morning? Not only does it transform the end-of-the root cellar carrots from their dirt-stained appearance (we store ours without washing them) back to a vivid orange, but it’s also good for you. Juicing allows you to take in more vegetables and fruit at one time, thereby allowing you to increase the amount of nutrients you get with each serving. Many people also notice an increase in their immune system functioning, and an energy boost thanks to fresh, raw juice.
I began juicing this past winter and became hooked. I started off with basic carrot juice, but quickly learned that the only limit to juicing is your own creativity. You can add any combination of vegetables, fruits, and greens for a delicious and healthy treat. Here are three of my stand-bys:
You can also try different kinds of carrots for some fun variation:
- Atomic Red (http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-atomic-red-carrot.html) and Dragon http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-dragon-carrot.htmlcarrots) will give you a rich red juice
- Cosmic Purple (http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-cosmic-purple-carrot.html) adds a purplish hue
- Or try Yellowstone (http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-yellowstone-carrot.html) or White Satin (http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-white-satin-carrot.html) to see how you like it!
Just put through your ingredients into the juicer and voila—you’ve made your own juice!
Classic Carrot Juice:
- 4-6 carrots
Carrot Apple Juice:
The apple adds a nice balance of sweetness to the juice.
- 4 large carrots
- 1 large apple (you can put the whole apple in—no need to peel or core)
Carrot Apple Ginger Juice:
The ginger adds a nice zing to make this juice uplifting and energizing.
- 4 large carrots
- 1 large apple
- 1 chunk of ginger (size depending on how much zing you want)
- Katie Spring