Safe Workers, Safe Seeds: HMOS’s Response to COVID-19
For the most up to date information from High Mowing, we encourage you to sign up for our weekly email series.
As developments continue regarding the worldwide COVID-19 outbreak, and demand for organic seed increases, our staff are working hard to maintain our standards for customer service wait times, shipping turnaround times, and maintaining a steady supply of organic seed.
We want our growers to be aware of the steps that High Mowing is taking as we continue to navigate these uncertain times, while helping to keep our staff happy and healthy:
- In addition to actively following the recommendations outlined by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and Vermont’s Health Department, our staff have developed and implemented enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols, including daily processes designed to reduce the risk of contamination.
- We are working with our staff to help them stay up-to-date and well-informed about what is going on nationally, locally, and within our own warehouse.
- The CDC and VT Health Department have recently recommended wearing face masks in public to slow the spread of COVID-19, particularly from asymptomatic carriers. All staff working on site are required to wear face masks during the entirety of their shift.
- We are encouraging our employees to take extra precautions including frequently washing their hands, working from home when possible, isolating office spaces, and staying home as appropriate and if so, we are continuing their pay for their isolation period.
- We are temporarily eliminating the option for customers to pick-up their seed order at our warehouse in Wolcott, VT in order to minimize risk of exposure. We of course still offer free shipping on all orders over $10.
There has never been a more urgent or important time to uphold your food-growing values. We are humbled and inspired to see so many growers turning to High Mowing as a source of safe and healthy organic seed. What we are seeing is that growers are eager to plant seeds and source their own food, and we stand at the ready to support our grower community during this time.
We are witnessing, as many of you likely are, a surge in recognition of local food sources. During this unpredictable time, we encourage you to support your local farmers – many of whom are adding online ordering options, home-delivery CSAs and other creative distribution methods in an effort to make their food easily accessible to their communities.
In light of the challenges posed by this unprecedented virus, we are hopeful that all of the growers in our High Mowing community will join us in exercising compassion. We believe in the power of community, and hope that you will let us know if there is something we can do to better support you. We remain thankful for the growers who have helped us build this company, and we continue to believe in the power of human kindness during this difficult time.